Table of Contents
If you have a bearded dragon, you probably looked up a lot about what they can eat. It’s par for the course that you are also looking for something that your beardie can eat every day. When it comes to plants, there are several options. And, you probably heard about a few flowers that are good for them.
But, can bearded dragons eat dandelions? Do they like them? There might be several dandelion plants in your backyard right now, and you probably want to feed them to your dragon.
In this article, keep reading to find out if it is safe for them and whether or not you want to add these to their diets. Let’s get started.
What Are Dandelions?
Dandelions are a widely distributed weed type of daisy. It has rosette leaves and bright yellow flowers surrounding its heads. It has tremendous healing properties for a yard and makes the soil quality better. But, despite all the benefits it brings to the table, several gardeners do not want these in their yards since they spread too fast and are difficult to get rid of.
But, this abundance is the very reason why you may want to add this to your beardie’s diet.
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Dandelions?
Bearded dragons cannot distinguish which food is safe for them and which is poisonous. That’s why it’s up to you to know if the food you give to them is safe. The good news is, bearded dragons can eat dandelions.
Dandelions don’t have toxins, and it is safe to give these to your bearded dragons. Not only are these great for beardies thanks to their nutritional content, but the nutrients are also balanced enough to be a part of their staple diets.
Pro-Tip: To add more nutrition for your bearded dragon’s meal, give them some Dubai roaches with the dandelions!
Why Should Your Bearded Dragon Eat Dandelions?
Dandelions are easy to find, and they are an excellent addition to their diets. These are the following reasons why you should give them to your pets:
- Great source of calcium. Dandelion greens are among the best sources of calcium that your bearded dragon sorely needs. For each 100g of dandelion greens, there is 187 mg of calcium. Compared to other vegetables, these greens may be the best source of calcium for your bearded dragon.
- Great calcium to phosphorus ratio. This ratio is important for your bearded dragon. The ideal ratio to keep a bearded dragon healthy and growing is 2:1. As for dandelion greens, the ratio is 3:1. This means that your beardie will get more calcium from each bite they take.
- Great source of Vitamin A and K. These vitamins are necessary for their bone health and growth, reproductive health and makes them heal faster. However, there are issues with eating too much vitamin A, so make sure that you’re not giving food with a lot of vitamin A together with dandelion greens.
- Rich in Beta Carotene and Antioxidants. Beta Carotene helps your beardie absorb just enough vitamin A to keep your pet healthy. At the same time, antioxidants are essential in fighting cells that can be harmful to your dragon.
How Often Can Bearded Dragons Eat Dandelions?
It is okay to make this a staple part of your dragon’s diet. The nutrients in dandelion are just the right amount to keep your dragon healthy. And, since it’s not toxic for the dragon, feeding it to your scaly pal often will not hurt them.
However, to avoid monotony, mixing other greens into your bearded dragon’s meals is best. A beardie needs a variety of greens to keep it from being bored when it eats. Regardless, they can eat dandelion greens every day.
But, remember to add other plants and insects to entice them to eat their meals. If you need a guide on other vegetables they can eat, you can refer to this article.
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Dandelion Stems?
Unfortunately, unlike dandelion greens, the flower’s stems shouldn’t be fed to your bearded dragon. The stems contain milk sap which can cause indigestion, especially if consumed too often. The good news is, this isn’t toxic to your dragon. But, it is still best to avoid adding the stems to your bearded dragon’s meals.
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Dandelion Flower?
Yes, your beardie can eat the flower. They are not toxic for your dragon, but there aren’t as many nutrients in them. They also fill your dragon up faster, making them less ideal than dandelion greens.
How Should You Prepare Dandelions for Your Bearded Dragon’s Meals?
There is a lot of confusion about how to feed a dandelion to your breaded dragon. To make it easier for you to feed these to your dragons, here are a few things you can follow.
- Get fresh dandelions. You can get dandelions from several places. They are available in grocery stores and other controlled environments where this flower is grown. If possible, look for organic dandelions because they are safer and free from pesticides and herbicides.
- Wash them thoroughly. This will help remove all the dirt and any chemicals that might be stuck on the outside of the plant. These are foreign materials that your bearded dragon shouldn’t eat. So, wash every plant you give your dragon thoroughly.
- Do not cook it. You don’t need to cook these at all. Cooking these reduces the nutrients in the greens. Oil and spices shouldn’t be added to meals you give your dragons either. So, it’s better not to cook it at all.
- Chop the dandelions. Cut these things into bite-sized and manageable pieces that your bearded dragon can consume easily. They can eat them directly, but smaller pieces will be easier for your bearded dragon to ingest.
- Serve them. Put the dandelions in a bowl and mix them with other greens and vegetables to make the meal more well-rounded and balanced. If you don’t have the perfect bowl yet, you can get an amazing feeder that your dragon will love here.
They need to eat plants throughout a bearded dragon’s life to keep their diets balanced and well-rounded. And, as a responsible dragon keeper, you need to match their meals with their diets in the wild. So, looking for a staple green they can have every day will help you a lot. Luckily, dandelions are here to solve that problem. This flower, especially its greens, can be a huge part of your bearded dragon’s diet. They can have them often without bringing other problems to the table.
However, remember to feed them any and every food in moderation to keep them healthy. And mix in other veggies to not bore them with too many dandelions. If you’re having difficulties with feeding your dragon, you can learn more through this article.