Table of Contents
Greens are a major part of a growing bearded dragon’s diet. And, many owners like to offer collard greens to complete their dragon’s meals. But is this safe for them to eat? Can bearded dragons eat collard greens often?
In this article, we will go over the answers to these questions. You will also learn about all the possible benefits of feeding this green to your dragons. So, let’s get started.
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Collard Greens?
Yes, definitely. Collard greens are safe to eat for your bearded dragon. These greens offer a lot of calcium and fiber your pet sorely needs, especially while they are young. There is also a generous serving of vitamin A, C, and K in these.
Collard greens are among the best food you can feed your dragon. And, they are considered a staple food for your bearded dragon and can be eaten regularly.
If you are looking for a great veggie to pair with collard greens, you can read on asparagus here.
What Nutrients in a Collard Green Are Beneficial for Your Bearded Dragons?
There are several reasons why this green is considered a staple for your bearded dragon’s diet. And among these benefits, here are six reasons why you want to give collard greens to your beardie often:
- Excellent Vitamin Source: A bearded dragon needs vitamin A, C, and K in their diets. Lucky for you, these vitamins are prominent nutrients in collard greens. Vitamin A is great for your bearded dragon’s vision and health. Vitamin C is necessary for their immune systems. Vitamin D is essential for bone health and growth. And since these vitamins are fairly balanced, collard greens are great in preserving your beardie’s overall health.
- Rich in Fiber. When fresh and raw, collard greens are packed with fiber necessary for their digestion. Since they have insects in their natural diets, leafy greens like these will boost their digestive systems and prevent constipation. Adding collard greens to their diets will help your dragon pass their food better.
- Low in Calories: If you have bearded dragons, you need to monitor their calorie intake closely. A cup of collard greens has less than 1 gram of fat and 2 grams of carbohydrates. This means that you can feed your dragon other meals along with calories without risking obesity and other health complications.
- Balanced Nutritional Content: Collard greens are very nutrient-dense, giving your dragons the most bang for their buck each time they bite through these greens. They also have a healthy amount of potassium, antioxidants, and folate, which are essential for your dragon’s growth and development.
- Ideal Calcium to Phosphorus Ratio: This is the biggest thing you need to consider when choosing what to feed your beardie. The ideal calcium to phosphorus ratio should be 1:1 or 1:2. Luckily, collard greens have less phosphorus than calcium. Food like these effectively reduces the risks of your dragon getting a metabolic bone disease (MBD).
Pro-Tip: To make their meals more nutritious, you can sprinkle a powder of multivitamins on your dragon’s meals.
How Often Can Bearded Dragons Eat Collard Greens?
Your bearded dragon can have these leafy vegetables every day, thanks to the high nutritional value of collard greens. The benefits they get from eating these greens are essential for their growth and development. Since its rich in calcium, it balances out the amount of phosphorus and oxalates in the green.
You can add these greens to their meals once or twice a day for baby and juvenile bearded dragons. Meanwhile, adult dragons can have these once a day since they need to eat less often than younger dragons. This meal schedule mirrors their natural diets in the wild, but you can also tailor how often you give these greens to your dragons based on their appetite.
Regardless, if you are looking for a staple green to add to their meals, collard greens are among the best choices out there. And, to make their mealtimes more enjoyable, you can put them in this amazing feeder!
How Should You Prepare Collard Greens for Your Bearded Dragons?
To keep the most nutrients in collard greens, there are a few steps you need to take. These will help your dragon get the most benefits out of eating these greens.
Here are the most important things you need to consider when preparing their meals:
- Always Buy Organic. The perfect vegetable for bearded dragons should be free of chemicals, fungicides, herbicides, and pesticides. Your pet shouldn’t eat any additives or materials that are not a part of their natural diet. Consuming any of these is dangerous for your beardie and can be fatal for your dragon. And, the best way to avoid these things is by buying organic.
- Wash Them Well. As with any vegetable, you need to wash the collard greens well to remove excess dirt and germs from the greens. Keeping their food clean reduces the risk of your beardie catching diseases and can be costly if left alone for too long.
- Slice Them Up. Bearded dragons can eat greens directly, but it’s better if you chop up the greens before serving them to your dragon. Also, remove the stems first to reduce the impaction and choking.
- Mix it with Other Veggies. Despite collard greens being a great staple part of a beardie’s meal, adding other veggies will add variety to their food. Adding other greens will also add more nutrients to their meals. You can add fruits, flowers, and worms to make their meals more balanced.
Pro-Tip: If you are looking for worms you can add to their diets, you can read up on worms in this article.
Bearded dragons need a lot of greens in their meals to keep their diets balanced. Since bearded dragons are not picky eaters, they will probably gobble up these greens in no time. And, since these are safe and well-balanced, your beardie will benefit a lot from eating collard greens.
So, Yes. Bearded dragons can eat Collard Greens. Now that you know that they can eat them go for the freshest greens you can find, and give your dragon a hearty meal that they will surely enjoy.