Table of Contents
When seeing corn, especially the sweet yellow ones we all love to eat, dragon keepers often wonder if they can give them to their dragons. Of course, sweet corns are great grilled on the cob or baked into cornbread. But, can you give corns as treats? Can bearded dragons eat corn?
The truth is, bearded dragons are omnivorous, and they will eat just about anything you give. And, adding variety to their meals will be great for their overall health. But is it okay to feed them corn? Keep reading to find out.
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Corn?
Yes, bearded dragons can eat corn. The kernels are not toxic to them either. But, they can have them on an occasional basis only. Their stomachs and digestive systems are not designed or evolved to process grains or the carbohydrates in corn.
What Nutrients Can Bearded Dragons Get from Eating Corn?
A bearded dragon needs several nutrients to keep them healthy and help them grow to its fullest potential. And, corn offers plenty of benefits that a dragon can get from eating this grain. In one cup of sweet yellow corn, your beardie can get the following nutrients:
- Calories: 177 calories
- Protein: 5.4 grams
- Carbs: 41 grams
- Fiber: 4.6 grams
- Fat: 2.1 grams
- Thiamine (Vitamin B1): 24% of the daily value (DV)
- Magnesium: 11% of the DV
- Vitamin C: 17% of the DV
- Folate (Vitamin B9): 19% of the DV
- Potassium: 10% of the DV
What Are the Benefits of Feeding Corn to Your Bearded Dragon?
Other than these nutrients, there are other benefits that a bearded dragon can get from eating corn. These are:
- Great for hydration. Bearded dragons get most of their water needs from their food. Since corn contains 77% water, it is a great source of hydration for your scaly pal.
- Boosts their energy. This is a great source of vitamin B1. This gives your bearded dragon the energy they need to go through the day.
- Strengthens their Immune System. Corn has a lot of vitamin C. This is great for their immune system. This reduces the risk that they will get sick. It also helps them recover quicker when they are ill.
What Are the Problems with Giving Your Bearded Dragons Corn?
Corns may have several nutrients your dragon needs. But, despite all the benefits, there is also a problem that you need to know about this grain. Corns have eight times more phosphorus than calcium. This is way over the ideal ratio for bearded dragon diets.
The ideal ratio for calcium to phosphorus a bearded dragon need is 1:1 to 1:2. Anything over will be a problem. Excess phosphorus will bond with the calcium and prevent the calcium from being absorbed into your dragon’s bloodstream. This isn’t good, especially for growing beardies.
Pro-Tip: To balance the ratio out a bit, you can add a sprinkle of calcium powder supplements on their corn.
How Often Can Bearded Dragons Eat Corn?
Your beardie shouldn’t have corn often. At most, these grains should only be added to their meals once a month. Despite being delicious, corn has lots of water and phosphorus. These are not things that a dragon often needs to have or need a lot of.
A few kernels each month is a healthy amount for your dragons. Any more than this, and it may cause discomfort for your beardie. Also, do not give them corn if you have already fed them other fruits in the last few weeks.
If you need a guide on which fruits your bearded dragon can eat, you can get a head start through this article.
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Canned Corn?
Beardies shouldn’t eat canned corn. Not even in small amounts. These usually contain too much salt that your beardie doesn’t need. It also has preservatives that are harmful to your bearded dragon’s diet.
Suppose you have small amounts of canned corn leftovers. It is better to throw them out instead of giving them to your bearded dragon.
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Popcorn?
Popcorn is a great snack for humans. You can probably eat more than a pack at a time while watching a good movie. Their crunch might tempt you to offer them to your bearded dragon, but it’s not a good idea.
Popcorn, especially the kernels, might present a choking hazard for your beardie. It would be best to avoid giving your bearded dragon popcorns to prevent this issue altogether.
You can give your dragon better treats with the same crunchy and are much healthier; you can read about them here.
How to Prepare Corn for Your Bearded Dragon?
Preparing corn for your bearded dragon does not need to be complicated. The simpler the preparation, the better. Here are a few things you need to do before giving your dragons corn:
- Buy organic. When choosing veggies for your dragon’s meals, buying organic is better. Organic fruits and vegetables are pesticide and herbicide-free, which is better for your bearded dragon’s health.
- Wash it well. Corns have several crevices that can catch foreign materials that may be harmful to your bearded dragon. Washing them thoroughly first will help a lot. It will reduce the chances that your dragon eats foreign materials that it can’t digest.
- Pluck the kernels. After washing, remove the kernels from the cob to make it easier for your dragon to eat.
- Serve them up. Put the kernels in a bowl, and give them to your dragon. They will love it.
A beardie can eat corn on a cob directly. But if you choose to feed your dragon corn this way, watch them while they eat it to make sure that they don’t have problems. It is best to be careful, and your dragon will prefer it as well.
Pro-Tip: To entice your dragon to eat their meals, you can put them in this amazing feeder.
A bearded dragon will enjoy the occasional sweet corn treat. This sweet, crunchy grain will be a great addition to your bearded dragon’s diet. But, remember to only give it to them once a month. Only give them fresh corn as well. As long as you keep their corn consumption within this limit, your dragon should be safe.
After reading these, you should be more than prepared to decide whether or not to give corn to your dragons. Remember everything you learned here, and your dragon should live a long and happy life.