Table of Contents
Can bearded dragons eat arugula? This peppery green with an intense flavor is a great addition to most meals, but is it safe for bearded dragons?? What benefits can they get from eating arugula? How often can beardies eat it? And, how do you prepare it?
Yes, vegetables are a great source of nutrition. This food should make up a significant portion of your bearded dragon’s diet. But does this include arugula?
In this article, you will find the answers to these questions and more. By the end of this article, you will be more than ready to decide whether or not you will give your beardie an arugula treat. Let’s get started.
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Arugula?
Short answer, yes. Bearded dragons can eat arugula or rocket salad. This green is a great source of calcium for your beardie. However, this shouldn’t be a part of their staple diets.
When giving arugula to your bearded dragon, only feed them baby or young arugulas leaves. These are tenderer, less peppery, and have a comparatively milder flavor than mature leaves.
What Benefits Can Your Bearded Dragons get From Eating Arugula?
Arugula brings several benefits to the table whenever you feed it to your dragon. Some of which are among the most important ones they need. These benefits are:
- Great Calcium to Phosphorus Ratio. Bearded dragons need a lot of calcium in their diet, especially while they’re still young. And, since the ratio is 3:1, the remaining calcium is all absorbed into their bloodstreams.
- Water. Bearded dragons get most of their water from the food they eat. Giving them arugula helps them stay hydrated as long as you don’t overfeed them water-rich food.
- Protein. Arugula may not have that much protein, but the few it offers are still important for your dragon’s growth.
- Vitamins and Minerals. Greens are packed with vitamins, even more so for arugulas. Most notably, arugula has vitamin A and Beta Carotene.
- Fiber. This helps your dragon digest their food better, especially for smaller bearded dragons, which need more bugs and insects to help them grow.
Pro-Tip: If you want to get some of the best insects for your dragon, you can get Dubai Roaches here. Your pet will love it.
How Often Can Bearded Dragons Eat Arugula?
The recommended amount of arugula bearded dragons can eat is limited to once a week. This reason is also why it shouldn’t be a part of their staple diets. The calcium to phosphorus ratio in arugula may be ideal, but the other nutrients it contains are why it can’t be on the list of staple foods.
Arugula also has goitrogens which can affect your bearded dragon’s thyroid, liver, and kidney. Another issue is that it has vitamin A, too much of which can cause vitamin A toxicity.
It may be healthy, but it’s not the most balanced green you can feed your dragon. To make a bearded dragon’s meals more balanced, it is recommended to mix them with healthier greens in a salad or add a food supplement coating. You can get some of the best food supplements for your bearded dragon by clicking here.
What Other Leafy Greens Can Bearded Dragons Eat?
There are several greens that your beardie can eat safely. You can mix these, switching between them every day to add variety. This should make your dragon’s mealtimes more enjoyable for them.
Here are a few leafy greens that are good for bearded dragons:
- Turnip Greens
- Mustard Greens
- Collard Greens
- Beet Greens
- Bok Choy
- Alfalfa Hay
- Water Cress
- Red or Green Cabbage
- Green Beans
- Bell Peppers
Each of these offers many benefits that a growing dragon needs, but you still need to be careful when giving these to your dragons. Just remember to read on these greens again to know how much and how often you can give these to your dragon. If you want to get a head start on the subject, you can read this informative article here.
How to Feed Arugula to Your Bearded Dragons?
Feeding your bearded dragon arugula is straightforward. But, there are a few things you can consider to make their experience better. These are meant to help you control the amount of arugula you give your scaly pal. Here they are:
- You can choose to grow your arugula or buy the freshest ones you can get in the market.
- Only give them young arugula leaves. These are more tender and better for your dragon.
- Wash the leaves thoroughly, especially if you bought them at a store.
- Cut them into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Consider adding other fruits and vegetables like carrots to make their meal more colorful. You can learn about feeding your bearded dragons carrots here.
- Remember to remove uneaten veggies as soon as your bearded dragon finishes eating.
What Do You Need to Know About Arugula?
Here is a few information on arugula that you can use and consider before buying them for your dragon:
- Arugula is highly perishable. It would be best if you kept this green refrigerated. If you keep it in a dry bag, it should last about a week. This is why you shouldn’t buy a lot each time unless you have several bearded dragons.
- Great availability. You can find arugula throughout the year. But, they are at their highest availability from June to December. Most of the time, these greens are packed in bags or boxes, making them easier to store for most stores and suppliers.
Arugulas are an amazing source of calcium for your baby and juvenile bearded dragons. Its high calcium to phosphorus ratio removes the need to sprinkle calcium powder on their meals. However, do not forget to add other veggies in the mix to add variety and encourage your bearded dragon to eat.
With that, you should be able to feed arugula to your bearded dragons without any issues. As long as you keep these in mind, your dragon should live a long and happy life.